NELGA promotes research on land policy and land governance for Africa that is solution oriented, participatory, evidence-based and able to reach policy makers. The research component of NELGA aims at supplying application-oriented findings and feeding these into the political dialogue.
Objectives of NELGA research:
- Supporting and facilitating the demand-driven research by NELGA partners and scholars
- Disseminating the research outputs and of the NELGA scholars to be utilized for evidence-based policy advise
- Strengthening the monitoring and evaluation of land policy processes in Africa according to the AU agenda on land.
- Creating a continental research community on land governance and expert database by supporting exchange on land governance related research between universities, research institutions, civil society and government institutions
NELGA wants to reach these objectives by:
- Generate high-quality research products and translate analytical findings into operational engagement and decision-making processes.
- Mainstream land governance issues in land-related education to enhance training opportunities and curricula on land governance.
- Strengthen analytical capabilities of existing African research institutions.
- Expand data availability on land governance and facilitate access, such as through a land data platform and land data help desks.
Achievements to date are:
- Impact evaluations of innovative land related projects to inform subsequent roll-out;
- Development and test of new methodology and technologies (e.g. satellite imagery) for analysing land issues;
- Implementation of Land Governance Assessment Framework in eight countries and kick start of follow up activities;
contribution to conduct National Agriculture Investment Plans (NAIPs) in several countries and formulation of policy briefs regarding the land related consequences (find the policy briefs here);
- Development of training, Master and PhD courses in the area of land governance;
- Support of Bachelor, Master and PhD students in pursuing land related research through the NELGA scholarship programme;
- Co-organising national, regional and international events in land governance (workshops, conferences, multi-stakeholder dialogues, etc.).
We are in the process of building an e-library of all NELGA research. The link will be found here, once it is established.