The University of Yaoundé I (UoY1) is a public university in Cameroon. The Department of Geography of the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences offers courses in the areas of rural and urban dynamics, environmental dynamics, and global development strategies. In addition, the department provides professional training in spatial and sustainable land management: cartography, remote sensing and geographic information systems (GIS). The University of Yaoundé 2, which cooperates closely with Yaoundé 1, offers courses on legal and legislative issues related to land rights and tenure, thus providing an excellent opportunity for inter-university exchanges and cooperation. It was during the consultative workshop for Central and West Africa held from 12 to 13 October 2017 in Yaoundé that UoY 1 was unanimously selected as the Regional Node of the NELGA in central Africa region.
Since September 2018, UoY1 has been in contact and has carried out various actions with NELGA member universities in Cameroon, Gabon, Central African Republic, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo and Chad. After the official launching of the project in January 2019 in Yaoundé, several others activities are being carried out according to the axes defined by the project.
The key activities of Central Africa NELGA node and its partner Institutions are:
- Sensitization of stakeholders and identification of new NELGA partners
- Elaboration of a regional communication strategy (website creation, periodical newspaper production etc.)
- Revision or development of curricula to integrate land governance issues
- Creation and functioning of the Center of excellence on Land Governance
- Conduct collaborative research activities to improve understanding of land governance issues in central Africa region
- Setting up a workstation for PhD and Master students
- Capacity building of teacher-researchers, students and practitioners on land governance