The “Institut Agronomique et Vétérinaire Hassan II” (IAV), based in Rabat, Morocco, is one of the leading training and research institutions in the domain of land governance in Northern Africa. Within the IAV, the School of Geomatics Sciences and Topographic Engineering (SGIT – Sciences Géomatiques et Ingénierie Topographique) is continuously strengthening its curricula development in accordance to the Bologna process. The school has also developed an extended network within institutions, ministries, private sector and public agencies throughout the region. Against this background IAV has been selected as the regional Node for Eastern Africa.
The regional NELGA node was established through a consultative workshop held in Rabat the 28 and 29 of March 2017. It is since then coordinated by SGIT.
The key activities of the NELGA Node and partner institutions in Northern Africa include:
- Development of a common strategy for scientific (land-related) research in Northern Africa
- Organization of continuous training program
- Establishment of a master degree in land governance
- Development of a Knowledge Data Base (KDB)
- Development of Sustainability and Control Quality (SCQ – regarding the long term sustainability of the network, knowledge dissemination and monitoring of NELGA-related activities)