Ardhi University (ARU) in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, is one of the leading training and research institutions in the areas of land and built environment in East Africa. It offers integrated training in the entire spectrum of land based disciplines and actively supports NELGA universities in the region in developing and implementing training programs on land governance through curricula development, staff and student exchange. Against this background Ardhi university has been selected as the regional Node for Eastern Africa.
In July 2017 ARU co-organized the Eastern Africa Land Administration Network (EALAN) Conference held in Nairobi, Kenya and successfully conducted a policy dialogue session on NELGA.
To date under the NELGA scholarship programme ARU has granted 12 scholarships (10 MSc and 2 PhD) on land governance.
The key activities of the NELGA Node and partner institutions in East Africa include:
- Conducting a Regional Research Scoping Study;
- Organizing and hosting workshops for researchers and policy-makers;
- Organizing national and regional multi-stakeholder dialogues on topics related to land governance;
- Establishment of a community of practice for academics and practitioners;
- Setting up a repository for data on land related issues;
- Publishing a regional Journal on Land Governance.